Altare Maggiore

The high altar is the fruit of the complete rebuilding of the church during the 18th century. 
 
Above the altar, there is a stucco choir with a semi cycle shape, at the centre of which it is placed a precious organ that, beside the practical function, had also a scenographic role inside the building.
 
He organ, in fact, is delimited by two wide pilasters and a stucco cornice which alternates the snow-white color of the marble with the gold of the decoration. This is characterized by the presence of a radial heart and two gracious puttos floating in the air at the sides.
 
The breath-taking wooden Crucifix, by Antonio da San Gallo the Elder, can be dated back between 1518 and 1528 for the close affinities with the Crucifix of St. Domenico of Fiesole.
 
The attribution to the great architect and sculptor from Florence has been supported by the recovery of the documents of payment to the artist, which dates back to 1533.
Antonio probably made the crucifix during the works at the church of St. Biagio, that were concluded in 1534, with the help of his son Giuliano.
The work is stylistically characterized by the incredible anatomical performance of Christ’s body, carved in the wood with great mastery and clear figurative realism.
 
The face, denoted by sweet and elegant features, exudes the tangible sufferance of the limbs that, well defined in details, contribute to make the work one of the most significant example of the sculptural activity of Sangallo in Montepulciano.

%d blogueurs aiment cette page :